We understand, your pet is part of the family. This means you love having them around during family gatherings and letting them participate in all the fun activities. This is especially true during the holidays when the family is visiting. However, it’s important to remember that there are certain holiday foods you shouldn’t feed your pet.
At Beech Lake Animal Hospital, we love to see your pets, too. But we would much rather see them for a checkup than an emergency. So, we have put together a list of five holiday foods you should never feed your pets, no matter how much they beg.
It’s generally well-known that chocolate is toxic for dogs and cats. Chocolate can be easy to lose track of chocolate that’s left lying around the house during the holiday season. While a small amount of chocolate won’t harm your pet, it doesn’t take very much for it to reach toxic levels within their bodies. This is toxic for their liver and can lead to intense intestinal problems. Make every effort you can to keep chocolate out of reach of your pets to avoid an ER visit.
Wanting to give your dog a bone is normal. Although, cooked turkey bones don’t provide the same nutritional value as a raw bone and can be very dangerous. Bones that have been cooked don’t have the same elasticity of a raw bone and can crack, splinter, and break more easily. These bone fragments can cause damage to your pet’s GI tract and even puncture through the stomach. At Beech Lake Animal Hospital, we recommend sticking to toys and treats that are specifically meant for your pet.
It’s true that cats and dogs love to eat meat. However, there are specific meats that they should stick to with their diet. Pork products like ham can be harmful to your pet for two specific reasons. First, pork can cause GI tract issues within your pet like pancreatitis, vomiting, and diarrhea. Second, pork is a high-fat food. Fat is high in calories and can very quickly accumulate to a large number of calories for a pet, especially small dogs and cats.
Dairy in general can cause indigestion and loose stool in dogs, but eggnog, in particular, can be detrimental to your pet’s health because of additional ingredients that are added to it. If you like to put alcohol in your eggnog, even a few tiny sips of alcohol can be life-threatening to a small dog. Nutmeg is also very common in eggnog and causes hallucinations, confusion, and even seizures. Make sure your family and guests don’t leave glasses of eggnog in places around your home that your pets can easily reach.
Stuffing is typically a mishmash of a number of items like onions, garlic, and others to create a single delicious dish. These particular ingredients can be extremely dangerous for dogs and cats by causing gastrointestinal issues in addition to severe anemia.
Contact Beech Lake Animal Hospital for more
If you’re concerned about your pet and holiday foods or would like more information, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Beech Lake Animal Hospital. You can give us a call at 731-967-0090 or send us a message via our contact form.
We want to help you keep your pets safe this holiday season, but please know that we’re available if an incident does occur.